Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) president and actor-filmmaker Kamal Haasan on Sunday said he won’t be contesting upcoming Lok Sabha elections. He also announced the second list of 19 candidates who will be contesting on the ‘Torch Light’ symbol. Last week, MNM released its first list of 21 candidates for Tamil Nadu and Puducherry for Lok Sabha elections.
"A lot of forms were received where people expressed their wish for me to contest but according to me these are all my people. I take pride in lifting this palanquin rather than being on one. I have lot of work to do. I will work for the success of my candidates," he said. Stating that instead of being in the palanquin, he preferred to shoulder it, Kamal added that that all the winners would deliver and fulfil the promises they had made during the regime, and they would be removed if proved otherwise.
"A single complaint against them will be inquired into by a committee and if found guilty, they will be immediately asked to tender their resignation," he added. He said he would generate 50 lakh jobs and give women 50 per cent reservation in them. Women would get paid as much as men. He said his party would ensure that Governors of states get elected by its legislators. Kamal also promised free WiFi, no toll on highways and home delivery of rations of the Public Distribution System.